The Basics of Bail

Whenever someone has been arrested for committing a crime, or allegedly committing a crime, they may be held in a secured facility, which often means a jail, until the date of their court appearance arrives or until they the judge has decided that the individual no longer needs to be jailed. Another reason individuals may be released is when they have paid bail.

What is bail, though, and how does it work? What’s the difference between bail and a bail bond? These are common questions that will be answered as you continue reading.

Bail

Bail is a set amount that has been determined by the courts and can act as a form of insurance for individuals who have been jailed. Many times bail can be paid in cash, but individuals may not be able to do this. Oftentimes, bail is set higher to keep defendants from being able to post bail, which prompts many to seek the service of bailbonds cleveland businesses, such as Chuck Brown II Bail Bonds.

Bail Bond

A bail bond, also known as a surety bond, is provided when a bail bondman or an agent releases an individual from jail. These types of bonds come in two types – criminal and civil. Criminal bail bonds guarantee that an individual will appear in court for scheduled dates and that penalties and monetary fines will be paid. Civil bail bonds ensure that debts will be paid, along with interest accumulated, when determined by the court.

Chuck Brown II Bail Bonds
342 S High St, Columbus
OH 43215, United States
Phone: +1 855-566-3170

Judges are responsible for setting the amount of bail, and many times bondsmen will require at least 10% of the amount be paid upfront. If a court date is missed, the remaining 90% must be repaid to the bondsman. If you appear in court throughout the trial, any collateral is returned.

Now that you have the answers to these common questions, you can proceed with cases involving bail with more confidence in your knowledge.